Sunday, April 8, 2018

Tomato Soup with Orzo, Chickpeas and Artichoke Hearts--A Pantry Special for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

I had a soup recipe tagged to make this weekend but I was at a writer's workshop most of the day yesterday and by the time I was done I was mentally tired, having used up all of my supply of extrovert-ism and it was starting to rain heavily, so the last thing I wanted was to stop by the grocery store on the way home. Then I was going to go this morning, but it was Sunday and frankly my whole take-a-shower-and-get-presentable desire was lacking. Instead, I looked in the my pantry cupboard and fridge to toss something together.


Two shallots, a few garlic cloves, a variety of spices, a large can of whole Italian tomatoes, some orzo pasta, canned chickpeas, and canned artichoke hearts came together into a tasty bowl of soup. A Roma tomato on its last legs, an extra garlic clove, and leftover baguette became pan con tomate (tomato bread) croutons and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan fancied it up a bit. Sometimes the best meals are the ones that just happen.


Tomato Soup with Orzo, Chickpeas and Artichoke Hearts
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes 4 to 5 Servings)

1 Tbsp olive oil 
2 shallots, minced (or 1/2 medium onion)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp of Aleppo pepper or any chili pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (28 oz) can whole Italian tomatoes, blended until mostly smooth
1 (15.5 oz) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup dried orzo or other pasta
1 (13.75 oz) can artichoke hearts, halved or quartered
sea salt and black pepper to taste

For toppings:
Pan Con Tomate: (see recipe here) baguette slices, olive oil, 1 garlic cloves, fresh tomato
grated Parmesan cheese
 
To make soup: Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute, cooking until they soften and begin to turn translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add spices, stir, and cook for another minute or until the spices are fragrant. 

Add vegetable broth, the blended tomatoes and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Increase heat and when bubbling, stir in the orzo and cook according to package directions (about 8 to 9 minutes usually). Stir in the artichoke hearts in the last 3 minutes of cooking time--to warm through. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. 

Toppings: if using, make Pan Con Tomate (recipe here) and top each soup bowl with 2 to 3 slices and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese. 


Notes/Results: For a quick soup, this turned out really well. I was going for a broth that tasted fresher and like it was cooked longer than it was, and I think I hit it with the mix of spices. There is a little smokiness, a little spice and a good depth of flavor. You might not have everything listed in your pantry and that's OK, just play with what you have. With a well-flavored broth and a mix of tastes and textures in the ingredients it will turn out well. If you want it gluten-free, use a GF pasta or toss in some rice and it's vegan if you leave off the cheese. This soup hit the spot on a gray and rainy weekend and I would happily make it again.
   

Joining me in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week is Shaheen, let's take a look!
 


Shaheen of Allotment2Kitchen shared Apple, Fennel, Grape and Poppy Seed Salad and said, "In my attempt to eat more salads, and this is a way I can also get more fruit into D's diet too.  It was lovely. Crunch from the apple, celery and fennel. Nuttiness from the almonds. Saltiness from the feta cheese offset the sweetness of the apple and a burst of juice from the red grapes. It was different from a green salad often made with a variety of green lettuce leafs."



 Thanks for joining me at Souper Sundays this week Shaheen!

About Souper Sundays:

Souper Sundays is back with a new format of a picture link each week where anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches any time during the week and I post a recap of the entries the following week.)

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 

If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:

  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on the post you link up to be included.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (optional).



 
Have a happy, healthy week!
 

4 comments:

  1. This is one delicious hearty looking soup! A must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I am going to try this soup this week. It sounds and looks delicious! Soup is my go to meal. I make a wicked sweet potatoe soup but I never measure. In Florida we have a grocery store called Publix. They also make a great sweet potatoe soup. I do the basic with garlic and onion and add sweet potatoe. I use tumeric and throw in some spinach. I simmer it and then mash it gently. Btw I am Annl over on Litsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, I know what you mean about being mentally tired - having used up all your extrovert-ism - I feel the same too as that does not come natural to me, being extrovert, but you have to bring out that side of you when in the company of certain people or for networking (which I am terrible at). This soup though, give me a bowl, please - i am a sucker for anything with chickpeas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all the ingredients you used and some are in the pantry. Will need to try this one. I brought Loser Soup...uh....I mean Cheeseburger Soup. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)